Click here for more history.

Click here for Whitesides Company history.

Click any picture below to enlarge.


Tench Coxe purchased NC land on both sides of the First Broad River


Bertha B. Moore - Mrs. Mack McCurry


The Fellowship Baptist Church is open to visitors year round.


The cemetery at First Broad Church contains several unmarked graves 


L. U. Snead


Gravestone of Tom Lewis


Golden Valley Post Office and Store

 

 


Christopher Bechtler operated a private mint in Rutherfordton


This roadside monument prominently displayed in Forest City was built by the Kiwanas during Rutherford County's bicentennial celebration. It commemorates the Burnt Chimney of the town of Forest City, once known as Burnt Chimneys.


The lake at Camp McCall was built by Doctor C.S. McCall, a Forest City dentist.


Ice Cream Social at the Golden Valley Community Club Friday night, June 20, 1952.
Picture courtesy of Lucy Ellis
Front row, left to right: Tom Melton & Tommy, Ben Queen, Sr., John Queen, Ernest Queen
Second row, left to right: Patricia Jones, Ethel Queen & Martha, Dot Melton, Susan Fortune, Ben Queen, Jr., Inez Gamble
Third row, left to right: Reba Jones, Diane Jones, Omie Jones, Irona Queen, Faye Parker, Lucy Fortune, Jewel Queen
Fourth row, left to right: Garrett Jones, Albart Petty, Sr., Rev. B.H. Parker, Joan Petty, Nat Fortune, Spencer Gamble, Jean Queen, Macie Fortune


Elbert Hudson keeps pigs in a log pen. He painted the pen to discourage insects, powder-post beetles and carpenter bees.


Sunshine School served the community
from 1932 - 2004


Hikers on their way to the little church might opt to take an old-timey footbridge, a small token of their appreciation is required.


Offspring of Hard Bargain Creek and Two Branch, the waterfall at Camp McCall is one of the camp features that attracts visitors.

 

 

For more information, or to submit material for this site, contact Karen McCall

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.
Site maintained and hosted by Graphically Speaking